Thursday, July 31, 2008

loud silence, 2005-07

I came across his short video piece and wondered what you guys thought. It is dated 2005 to 2007 so it is contemporary unlike many of the on line postings. As I read it the oxymoron loud silence is extended to the visual which shows a coin (security) blanket under which a dark skinned female sleeper tosses uncomfortably in her sleep. The sound track is of the clinking and rustling of the coins interspersed with breathing. The camera highlights the male profile on the coins.  Linking the ideas together - hegemony of the state which is male over a female of a less powerful social group who is sleeping and mute, her lack of comfort under the weight of coins though she was dressed nicely in lingerie. The inference being the false security of money and that sometime she will wake up and cast off this blanket. 

But I had to ask myself.. what if the blanket was made of paper money - much more comfortable, harder to wake up from. It seems the issues being explored have not changed much or is it my interpretation is stuck in my frame of reference??

1 comment:

Amanda Williams said...

Which video piece Kate? Title / location?