Saturday, October 11, 2008

Admittedly I don't often analysis my architectural surroundings, in fact just the other day I was impressed by a building facade I have passed hundreds of times previously but never noticed. While I don't have the bounds of knowledge or research to back up my opinion like many modernist philosophers do, I think that lots of modern architecture leaves me feeling completely disassociated with my surroundings, they are as a contrast to my self; hyper clean, organised and hard. I also find their order threatening, continually aware of how I as an organic, ever changing being, am in direct opposition to the buildings 'rules'. I find myself being judged by this big concrete mother, dirty foot prints and loud coughs, I'm going to get roused on for sure.
The elimination on 'unnecessary' decoration or ornamentation, in an attempt to offer the pure functionality of a space, disassociates me from the space through lack of warmth and lack of familiarity so much that I feel less inclined to make use of the area.
I felt that some of the art works we looked at, especially the destructed home 'Valhalla', were a physical representation of the feelings I get within these ultra modern buildings and homes. I haven't previously explored art in relation to architecture thinking I couldn't relate to it on a personal level, but I am most definitely going to explore this further starting with Callum Morton.

No comments: