Monday, October 20, 2008

Wednesdays Lecture.

I thought Wednesdays lecture on both women as artists in the nineteenth century, and domestic craft of the same period was so fascinating.
Craft and art have always had this strange, undefinable relationship; I know many artists who loathe craft, and many craftsmen that loathe art, both claiming the other lacks integrity or skill or concept. (just envision a debate between fine arts and object studio)
I think that craft and art, in some respect, need not be divided. As an example, a quilt that is constructed with not only aesthetic in mind, but made and displayed to convey a narrative or history fits the definition of what i consider 'valuable art', but this of course could be argued.
I'm always drawn to artists and exhibitions that combine craft into their work, especially textiles, I bought this amazing book not too long ago that looks specifically at fine art textiles, not wearable art (those wacky awards in Nelson) if anyone is interested in having a look I'd be more than happy to bring it along to class.
Also, in the lecture Anne mentioned the creation of fetishistic craft pieces, and showed the example of the hair wall hanging, but she also mentioned children's tooth jewellery and something else too? I was wondering if anyone knows more about this? I've been trying to search about it but can't find anything in journals or books or websites (I did how ever find roughly 60,000,00 websites on hair fetishism, biiiig help that was, pssh).

No comments: