Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Do Ho Suh

Hi everyone,
I was just thinking about Do Ho Suh's work on Globalism, particulaly his work "Floor," and thought I would post a blog :-)
In our last tutorial, we were talking about how so many of the artists in "Art History" could be written about in so many different chapters, depending on the viewers reading.
If I hadn't read about Do Ho Suh in the article "Art and Globalism," I was thinking what his work would mean to me, and how I would read it. Looking at "Floor," I interpret it to be a comment on Anarchism. Obviously there is a powerful figure standing on/over these small people, but once they all work together, they can overthrow this figure (or government) and start working and living together, which I suppose links back to Globalism anyway. But I see it as much more of a political artwork. The little figures resemble toy army men to me, more so than the common man, which then adds a different layer, perhaps the entrapment of being drafted and going to war.

No comments: