Tuesday, August 5, 2008

AGNSW + the horse

After todays visit to AGNSW i concluded that the pieces that made the biggest impression on me were Nedko Solakov's work which was the one where they were painting the walls black and white. The border between the everyday and conceptual art can merge.. some may walk into the gallery and assume its everyday maintenance, i find this interesting because to me that is the sort of art i am drawn to.
The artwork i was most drawn to although was Gianni Colombo's (the dark room with the moving string). The room creates a sensory atmosphere of which you become tuned in to sound, sight and movement. Although the room is focused on the kinetic movement, it still creates an almost peaceful atmosphere to me. Alternatively the room might make some people feel anxious, mainly because you cannot see each other clearly, you are stuck in a small space, and as meg discovered if you spin around in circles in very trippy.

I have also visited cockatoo island and the MCA, and yesterday i visited the MCA again and was lucky enough to catch the old grannies playing sex pistols live, it was very funny.
Probably one of the most memorable artworks of the MCA was the suspended horse. i don't know how everyone else felt about the horse but i was impressed. It is provocative and will get a response whether its good or bad. It occupied the space of the room, but i felt it was very left of field and so 'he hung a horse from the ceiling..' but at the same time unexpected, which is kind of what i like about it.
What do you think of the horse if you've seen it?


2 comments:

Nat said...

I totally agree about the suspended horse. It is so memorable, in fact out of all the biennale pieces it is the one I would talk about first.
I spoke about it with one of my friends who had heard about it adn she HATED it. She was so repulsed by the idea of a dead horse hanging from the ceiling and said she would refuse to go in to the room.
I, on the other hand really ilke it. It is so avangarde and unexpected and I like the fact people have such strong opinions towards or agianst it.

I think, in general, a piece of work, loved or lothed is more succsessful than work which you dont feel anything for at all.

minyoung said...

I agree that you should feel something about an art work, however I think using another being's body in art is morally wrong. I saw the horse and it really does look unusual, and I wasn't sure whether it was a real horse, or a construction, like Sam Jinks' super-real human figures.