Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hayden Fowler

I went down to the GBK gallery at Waterloo, and saw the video installation (and photos) by Haden Fowler. I thought the video was interesting (even though I didn't really like it...). It's so slow, in fact, that you go into a kind of meditation watching it.

It appeared to be a kind of science-fiction world, with modern techniques mixed with primitive images. Each world was linked by the air-conditioning ducts, and for me, passing through them to each new world symbolised passing time.

The gallery handout from a previous exhibition says - "Many of Fowler's works look at the way natural features co-exist within the built environment". That seems to be true for this one too, although the setting was more bare and dream-like.

The concept has a connection with the Art & Nature and Technology chapter that I'll be doing my presentation about, but I've chosen a different artist.

I had an interesting discussion with the gallery owner, Barry Keldoulis, afterwards about video art and its saleability. I wondered how artists can survive, producing this kind of video installation (it didn't look to me like anyone would buy it!). He said that with people buying very large screen displays buy them to have as a talking point and some background entertainment at gatherings. Also the Opera House bought one about shadows on the opera house steps recently.

So it seems that there is hope for video-artists after all...

(Don't worry, I know nothing about video!)

gbk
285 Young Street
Waterloo
http://www.gbk.com.au

No comments: