Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Isolation.

I've been thinking on the topic of isolation, or extended periods of solitude. I always feel that at some point in my life I will venture alone (in every sense of the term) to somewhere that will allow a period of self exploration and re-evaluation. I have never lived on my own, nor have I been seperated from the constant that is familiar friends or family, I have opportunities to be alone for some time (usualy a couple of hours, hardly worth the mention) but I am always interupted by either my own or someone elses desire for companionship. I hate the new age sound of a 'retreat' or 'escape' but enjoy pondering the idea of taking off, leaving everything and seeing how I am on my own, truly on my own. Perhaps the idea of proving ones independance and self reliance is what drives me, not my own need, who knows. I know speaking to lots of you that you have done various things that leave you vunerable and on your own (I didn't use the word adventure) which only makes me more intrigued, it seems this is a human desire held by most of us (if not all of us). I don't know how to conclude this ramble, apart from saying that I plan on exploring this topic in one of our next classes.

1 comment:

M H said...

To me there is a link from Isolation to meditation. Being alone without company or distractions including radio or tv. The quietening(sp?) of the mind. Amanda may know something about this from her travels in Katmandu. Im sure buddism speaks of this kind of thing.